22 July 2010

So this is it

The runup to retirement felt a bit like a slow car crash - inevitable, out of control and with an uncertain ending.  

The last week of school was peppered with 7 parties - 3 in one evening!  So not surprisingly, the work needed to finish off did not get done, with the result that the following week felt like business as usual.  Well, after two weeks now of tying up loose ends, I have finished.  After 34 years, it was weird just to close the door to my classroom and leave.  I imagined there would be some sort of shining moment but no, it was just a matter of turning off the lights and locking the door...  

So what now?   Well, since then I have taught two photo courses at the ICBP and today I get to photograph a pig farm.  Yesterday I was asked about appearing on TV and radio some time next month so that will certainly be different.  Having packed away all my suits and smart clothes, it looks as though something will have to be resurrected already.  Hey ho...  

Yesterday I walked around town and imagined what it would be like to be able to do this at leisure during term time.  Only a teacher, in the middle of a frantic, stressful term, would appreciate how significant and delicious that idea is.  

Well, the future's bright so let's get on with it....


No comments:

Post a Comment